Saturday 17 May 2008

Modding - The Final Frontier

As I kind of mentioned in my last post, I have a dream to create games, which has been with me ever since I was young. With that goal in mind, I've decided to set out and start in the world of modding.

Of late, I've been playing Team Fortress 2 on my computer, and enjoy it thoroughly. The bonus with any of Valve's games is that once you have purchased one of their games, you are allowed free access to the Source SDK, which is a collection of tools allowing you to create custom content for the games of theirs you own. Seeing as though I was given Valve's Orange Box for my birthday last year, I've got access to the SDK and quite a lot of pre-built material to play about with. Because I'm enjoying Team Fortress 2 so much, I figure it would be good to get into the Source SDK and have a go at making my own maps.

Over the last day or so, I've been trolling YouTube for some good tutorials ([Link] and [Link]) to show me just what I'm doing, and I think I've got a good handle on the basics. I can create walls and rooms, doors, and all number of interesting little things which any FPS map makes use of. With that knowledge under my belt, I figure I should begin work on something more substantial than a small room with various objects strewn over it.

After brief discussion with my housemate (read: "what do you think, dude?" "yeah, sweet"), I've decided to make a basic map in the layout of the house we live in. While as an FPS map our house would play pretty badly, it's still a nice little test to see just how much knowledge from the tutorials has actually sunken in and taken hold in ye olde grey matter. I would have started on it about four hours ago, however a thunderstorm passed over, and than I got caught up playing some Guitar Hero 3 along the way...yeah. Anyways, I'm going to give this mapping business a go, so wish me luck.

As well, I thought that every good blog needs to have a bunch of links to things that are amusing and interesting attached to each post. So, here you go.

Construction worker's foreplay (via Gizmodo)
Amazing Illustrator work (via Gizmodo)

No comments: